Join thousands of Catholics nationwide in the annual pro-life novena, 9 Days for Life, Monday, January 14 – Tuesday, January 22, 2019. Pray for the respect of all human life with daily intentions, brief reflections, and more. Download a free mobile app, or sign up to receive the novena through daily emails or text message. (A printable version is also available online.) Sign up at www.9daysforlife.com!
Respect Life Sunday
Baby Bottles for Life
40 Days for Life
This important campaign began on Wednesday September 27 and continue through Sunday, November 5. “40 Days for Life” is an international, community-based campaign that draws attention to the evil of abortion through the use of a three-point program: Prayer and Fasting – Constant Vigil – Community Outreach.
The Center City Philadelphia Vigil locations are at Philadelphia Planned Parenthood (12th and Locust Streets) and Women’s Center (777 Cherry Street – near 8th and Arch Streets). Vigil hours are Monday – Friday from 8am to 5pm, Saturday 8am to 3pm.
This important campaign will begin on Wednesday March 1, 2017 and continue through Sunday, April 9, 2017. “40 Days for Life” is an international, community-based campaign that draws attention to the evil of abortion through the use of a three-point program: Prayer and Fasting – Constant Vigil – Community Outreach. We have the opportunity to participate at three local locations:
- Center City Philadelphia – Philadelphia Planned Parenthood (12th and Locust Streets). Vigil hours: Monday – Friday from 8am to 5pm, Saturday from 8am to 3pm. Please contact Mary Schott (215-635-3172) or Monique Rubero (469-231-9084 or e-mail) for additional information and to sign up. Thank you for your support.
- Center City Philadelphia – Philadelphia Women’s Center (777 Appletree Street – just off 8th Street between Arch and Cherry Streets. Vigil hours: Tuesday – Saturday from 8am to 5pm. Please contact Mary Schott (215-635-3172) or Bob Reynolds (267-733-2737 or e-mail) for additional information and to sign up. Thank you for your support.
- Northeast Philadelphia – Northeast Medical Center (2751 Comly Road). Vigil hours: Monday – Saturday from 7am to 3pm. Please contact Anita Flynn (267-456-4582 or e-mail) for additional information and to sign up. Thank you for your support.
You can also sign up directly on the Forty Days for Life web site. Follow the prompts. Eventually you will be asked to set up a login account. Just make sure you input your correct e-mail and remember your password. If you are not able to participate in the vigil, please pray and fast.
Today, January 22, 2017, is the 44th anniversary of the infamous legalization of abortion in the United States. Since that day, close to 60 million children have lost their lives. You are invited to the following events marking this anniversary:
- January 27: March for Life, Washington DC. Immaculate Conception Parish in Jenkintown invites you to join their bus! Bus will leave immediately following the 7am Mass at Immaculate Conception and will return at approximately 7:30pm. To register ($25 per adult; $10 per student), visit their website: iccjenkintown.org
- January 27: The Respect Life Committee of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish will sponsor “A Memorial for the Unborn Innocents” at Planned Parenthood, 610 Louis Dr., Warminster at 12 noon.
- January 27: Rosary for Life followed by Benediction at St. William Church, 6200 Rising Sun Ave., Philadelphia at 7pm. The Rosary will be prayed in English, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Urdu.
- January 28: Witness for Life at PP in Center City Philadelphia. Join us from 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. with the Pro-Life Union and pilgrims from the Diocese of Omaha for this public prayer event. Groups will gather beforehand at the 7:45am Mass at St. John the Evangelist Church, 21 S. 13th St. (below Market St.), Philadelphia.
Thank you to everyone who participated in Saint Joseph Parish’s Giving Tree this year. Your generosity was overwhelming. We brought all of our gifts to Guiding Star Ministries, a home for soon-to-be mothers and mothers with babies. Edel Finnegan, Executive Director of the Pro-Life Union, accepted our gifts and was very grateful for all of our donations.
Please show your support for protecting the sanctity of all human life in Northeast Philadelphia as we observe the 44th anniversary of the infamous January 22, 1972 U.S. Supreme Court Roe v. Wade decision. Hear inspiring messages and learn how you can effectively contribute to the pro-life cause.
Sunday, January 22, 1973, 2pm-3pm
St. Katherine of Siena Church
9700 Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
Reception to follow in the church basement.
40 Days for Life
- Center City Philadelphia – Philadelphia Planned Parenthood (12th and Locust Streets). Free parking is available at St. Peter Claver Parish (12th and Lombard Streets). Vigil hours: Monday – Saturday from 8am to 5pm . Please contact Mary Schott (215-635-3172) or Monique Rubero (469-231-9083 — firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information and to sign up.
- Northeast Philadelphia – Northeast Medical Center (2751 Comly Road) Vigil hours: Monday – Saturday from 7am to 3pm. Please contact Patricia McNamara (610-457-9908) for additional information and to sign up.
- Warminster – Planned Parenthood (619 Louis Drive – just off Street Road). Please contact Elise Cowley (215-589-5422 — email@example.com) for additional information and to sign up. There will also be an opening Mass on September 27th, 7pm Nativity of Our Lord Church, 605 Street Road.
Forty Days for Life United Bus Tour
FORTY DAYS FOR LIFE UNITED will be visiting our area on Tuesday, October 4th. The National representatives David Bereit and Steven Karlen will be DRIVING A HUGE TOUR BUS TO 50 STATES IN 4O DAYS visiting vigil sites and holding rallies! They will be speaking along with other local pro-life leaders from groups such as Silent no More, Susan B Anthony etc. There will be media present at this event which we hope will help others join our campaign and continue the prayer and witness!
- Warminster – Planned Parenthood (619 Louis Drive) afternoon rally – 3:15-4:15 PM
- Center City Philadelphia – Philadelphia Planned Parenthood (12th and Locust Streets) – evening rally 7-8 PM
Respect Life Sunday
Baby Bottles for Life
We hope many of you can attend and will register for the upcoming Sidewalk Counseling Training at the Archdiocesan Pastoral Center on July 16th. The basics of sidewalk counseling will be covered along with strategies for engaging in conversations and there will be time for questions and answers. The day will begin at 7:30 am with a prayer vigil at Planned Parenthood in Philadelphia at 12th & Locust Streets. Mass will be offered at 9 am at the Cathedral Chapel. Special thanks to the NFP Alliance and the Office for Life and Family for bringing us together for this training.
Please consider attending the 7:30 am Prayer Vigil or 9 am Mass even if you are not able to attend the training session. For additional information, please contact our Parish Pro-Life Coordinator, Mary Schott, by clicking here.
Thank you to everyone who participated in Saint Joseph Parish’s Giving Tree this year. Your generosity was overwhelming. We brought all of our gifts to the Pro-Life Union Office. Edel Finnegan, Executive Director of the Pro-Life Union, was very grateful for all of our donations.
We are so grateful to the people of Saint Joseph for their gift of $270.65 during our recent Respect Life Activities. This support provides housing for expectant mothers and their children through maternity homes, including Guiding Star Ministries; enables us to organize prayer, witness and education events for thousands of people; and supports our efforts in public affairs to protect the dignity of life. Through their gifts, the parishioners of Saint Joseph are building a Culture of Life in the Philadelphia area.
Thank you for all of the work you do to assist us in our mission for life!
Pro-Life Union of Greater Philadelphia
Director of Development
Because of the popular response last year, Saint Joseph Parish will once again have the Giving Tree as part of our Advent observance. The tree will be located in the front of Church on the Blessed Mother side and will be decorated with cards containing modestly priced gift suggestions. Before or after Mass, you are invited to come and pick a card from the Giving Tree.
Please bring your unwrapped gifts to the Giving Tree by Sunday, December 27.
If you like, please place one of your own ornaments on the tree. In this way, your ornament will serve as a symbol of your sharing in this beautiful expression of the true Spirit of Christmas.
All gifts collected will be donated to the Pro-Life Union organization who is turn distributes the gifts to crisis pregnancy homes and families with small children in our area.
Thank you for your participation in this special tradition at Saint Joseph Parish!
Baby Bottles for Life will be available in the back of the Church on October 11. Please take one home, fill it with your loose change and return the filled bottle on Sunday, November 1 or 8.
Your donation will allow the Pro-Life Union
to continue working to build a Culture of Life and offer women alternatives to abortion.
Please be as generous as your means will allow to this very important cause.
October is Respect Life Month and October 4 is Respect Life Sunday. Please pray for the end of abortion.
The Life Chain will form across from Abington Memorial Hospital today. Please join this Chain as we pray for all life. We will meet at the northeast corner of Horace and Old York Roads (across the street from Abington Hospital) at 1:45pm. The Chain begins at 2pm and lasts approximately one hour – rain or shine.