Parish History

June 12, 1953
Parish founded with the appointment of Rev. Francis J. Hennegan as Pastor

July 26, 1953
First Sunday Mass for parish held at St. Helena’s Hall

January 1954
First Rectory (101 Hilldale Road) occupied

August 28, 1954
First Convent (7628 Waters Road) occupied

September 1954
Saint Joseph School opened

October 16, 1955
Church/School building blessed

July 31, 1961
New Convent (7633 Waters Road) occupied

July 1966
New Rectory (120 Hilldale Road) occupied

September 2, 1969
Rev. Richard B. Ward appointed Pastor

June 6, 1981
Rev. Richard J. Skelly appointed Pastor

January 5, 1987
Rev. John B. DeMayo appointed Pastor

August 29, 1993
Rev. Joseph J. Quindlen appointed Pastor

July 1, 2000
Parish twinned with Presentation BVM Church, Cheltenham, with Rev. William S Harrison appointed Pastor of both parishes

October 26, 2003
Parish 50th Anniversary Mass celebrated

June 2004
Due to declining enrollment, Saint Joseph School closed after producing over 1,500 graduates

September 2004
Rectory at 120 Hilldale Road became a convent for the Sisters of St. Joseph; parish offices moved to the Church/School building

September 2008
Convent at 7633 Waters Road sold to the Contemplative Sisters of the Good Shepherd who had been renting the building for four years